VMware Cloud Community
jmyotis
Contributor
Contributor

How do I move a datastore from one Datacenter to another?

I'm finding someone has assigned datastores to an incorrect Datacenter. Hoe do I move these datastores to the correct Datacenter without affecting the VM data contained within?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MattiasN81
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I assume you have serveral storage arrays in several datacenters and someone has created a datastore on the wrong array.

U cant move an entire datastore from VMware, thats down on the storage array level.

The closest thing you can do whitout distrupting the VMs is to use storage vmotion to move VMs from one datastore to another,

VMware Certified Professional 6 - DCV VMware VTSP Software Defined Storage Dell Blade Server Solutions - EMEA Certified Dell PowerEdge Server Solutions - EMEA Certfied Dell Certified Storage Deployment Professional Dell EMC Proven Professional If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Helpful or Correct
0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

If you want to get the LUN from the storage end moved, you will have to unmap it from the hosts in current datacenter and present it to ESX hosts in new datacenter.

Otherwise storage vMotion the VMs to a newly mapped LUN and delete the old one once all the machines are moved

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
jmyotis
Contributor
Contributor

I may have not provided enough information. The datastores are iSCSI volumes, via software adapter,  connected to hosts in DataCenter #1, yet the datastores were assigned to DataCenter #2.

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

You should have a certain separate set of hosts & Clusters in both datacenters.

If its a iSCSI LUN, you can either remove the target discovery from the software iSCSI adapter properties of the vmhba32.

or

You have limit the mapping of the LUN to certain host IPs/iqn's from the SAN. take help from the SAN admin.

Make sure you have no powered  on OR registered powered off VMs on the LUN in the datacenter/hosts you want to remove it from.

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos