VMware Cloud Community
supercell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I mount my RDM in RHEL 6.2?

Hello,

I have successfully created my first RDM from a EMC CX4-240 LUN. I now see the mapping in ESXi 4.1 and have created the raw disk for my Red Hat Enterprise 6 vm. I am now in cli on the RHEL 6 vm and am not sure where to look for the new mount. Do I have to manually create this mount, or will it just pop up somewhere in Red Hat?

The more detailed the explanation the better!

Thank you!

Tags (7)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Its a disk, so its going to show up as /dev/sdX, where X changes based on how many drives the system already has.  In your case, because you only have 2, you new drive is probably going to be /dev/sdb.

Check that by comparing the size that parted or fdisk reports for that device to the known size.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will need to put a filesystem on it yourself (with mkfs) and then mount it (using mount).

0 Kudos
supercell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I know which device do I point mkfs to?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You'll have to take a look at your devices in Linux to see which one is new and of the correct size.  Check /proc/scsi/scsi and dmesg to help figure it out.

--M

0 Kudos
supercell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I see the following:

/proc/scsi/scsi:

Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: VMware   Model: Virtual disk     Rev: 1.0
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI  SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: VMware   Model: Virtual disk     Rev: 1.0
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI  SCSI revision: 02
~

dmesg:

scsi2 : VMware PVSCSI storage adapter rev 2, req/cmp/msg rings: 8/8/1 pages, cmd_per_lun=64

vmw_pvscsi 0000:03:00.0: VMware PVSCSI rev 2 host #2

scsi 2:0:0:0: Direct-Access     VMware   Virtual disk     1.0  PQ: 0 ANSI: 2

scsi 2:0:1:0: Direct-Access     VMware   Virtual disk     1.0  PQ: 0 ANSI: 2

/dev:

[root@S01-VM-REDHAT-01 dev]# ls

agpgart          dvd        loop1    mem                 ram10  random  snapshot  tty15  tty28  tty40  tty53  tty9     vcs7

block            dvdrw      loop2    net                 ram11  raw     sr0       tty16  tty29  tty41  tty54  ttyS0    vcsa

bsg              fb         loop3    network_latency     ram12  root    stderr    tty17  tty3   tty42  tty55  ttyS1    vcsa1

cdrom            fb0        loop4    network_throughput  ram13  rtc     stdin     tty18  tty30  tty43  tty56  ttyS2    vcsa2

cdrw             fd         loop5    null                ram14  rtc0    stdout    tty19  tty31  tty44  tty57  ttyS3    vcsa3

char             full       loop6    nvram               ram15  scd0    systty    tty2   tty32  tty45  tty58  urandom  vcsa4

console          fuse       loop7    oldmem              ram2   sda     tty       tty20  tty33  tty46  tty59  usbmon0  vcsa5

core             hpet       lp0      parport0            ram3   sda1    tty0      tty21  tty34  tty47  tty6   vcs      vcsa6

cpu              hugepages  lp1      port                ram4   sda2    tty1      tty22  tty35  tty48  tty60  vcs1     vcsa7

cpu_dma_latency  hvc0       lp2      ppp                 ram5   sdb     tty10     tty23  tty36  tty49  tty61  vcs2     vga_arbiter

crash            input      lp3      ptmx                ram6   sg0     tty11     tty24  tty37  tty5   tty62  vcs3     vmci

disk             kmsg       MAKEDEV  pts                 ram7   sg1     tty12     tty25  tty38  tty50  tty63  vcs4     VolGroup

dm-0             log        mapper   ram0                ram8   sg2     tty13     tty26  tty39  tty51  tty7   vcs5     vsock

dm-1             loop0      mcelog   ram1                ram9   shm     tty14     tty27  tty4   tty52  tty8   vcs6     zero

Still not sure what to look for in dev.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Its a disk, so its going to show up as /dev/sdX, where X changes based on how many drives the system already has.  In your case, because you only have 2, you new drive is probably going to be /dev/sdb.

Check that by comparing the size that parted or fdisk reports for that device to the known size.

0 Kudos
supercell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yep, that did the trick!

Thank you so much for your time and patience! I really do appreciate it!

0 Kudos