VMware Cloud Community
cmathews0640
Contributor
Contributor

How do I migrate from ESXi 4.0 on local_storage to ESXi 4.1 on USB SD

We currently have a host  running ESXi 4.0U4 on local storage (Raid 10 array) and we want to migrate/upgrade to ESXi 4.1 on USB SD.  Can someone provide me some steps or a link to an article that can step me through this process?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

Hello,

First of all do you have 2 separate ESXi servers i.e. ESXi 4.0 and ESXi 4.1? If not then the first thing you should do is upgrade your ESXi 4.0 to 4.1

Once the ESXi is upgraded to version 4.1 ensure your SD is detected as a datastore and thereafter you just copy your VMs from the local datastore to the SD datastore.

Do you want to install ESXi on the USB SD or just use it for storing VMs?

If the ESXi servers are separate then you can use vSphere Converter to copy VMs between ESXi servers.

Nikhil

0 Kudos
cmathews0640
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Nikhil,

We only have one ESXi host running v4.0 and it was installed on the local Raid 10 storage array.  What I want to do it migrate the host OS (v4.0) from local_storage to a USB SD drive off the motherboard.  The VMs will stay on local_storage (Raid 10 and Raid 5 Array).

Is it possible to put the host into Maintenance Mode, reboot with ESXi 4.1 CD in drive.  Install 4.1 on USB SD, and add VMs in local_storage to inventory?

Or would I get a Purple Screen of Death because it knows about the other install of ESXi 4.0 on local_storage?

Thanks for your help!

Chris Mathews

0 Kudos
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

Hi,

For sure ESXi will detect the install in local disk when trying to install on USB SD.

Try to disable the local disk first and then install ESXi on the SD thereafter connect the local disk and check if all your VMs are detected. I suggest you take backup of your VMs before experimenting.

Nikhil

cmathews0640
Contributor
Contributor

Tonight I performed the cutover without issue.

1. Shutdown VMs, place ESXi host into maintenance mode and shutdown.

2. Install SD card in slot on motherboard.

3. Power server up with ESXi v5.0 in CDROM   (also left hard drives in server)

4. Perform fresh install of ESXi v5.0 on SD Card

5. Change order of bootable devices making USB ahead of Hard Drives

6. Configure ESXi host, add VMs to Inventory

If you do run into panic messages, it can be addressed in the following KB: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1021744.

0 Kudos
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Good to know you managed to install ESXi in SD card and access all your VMs, how is the performance.

Nikhil

0 Kudos