VMware Cloud Community
thomasross
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How do I migrate an ESXi host from a vDS to a vSwitch with NAS storage on the vDS

I need to move some esxi hosts off a vDS to a standard vSwitch in preparation for moving the ESXi hosts to a new vCenter

I have two 10 GB NICs that handle VM ports, NAS storage, and vmotion.

Is there a documented procedure for moving from a vDS to a vSwitch, particularly for migrating the NAS storage to a vSwitch?

Thanks

Tom

Tags (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

No, you will need to do it on a per-host basis.

I really recommend doing it one by one, no hurry, and checking all the networking before doing the next move. Example: after migrating the vmkernel interfaces, check on an ssh connection to the host if it can vmkping the NAS. Before moving all VMs on the host to the std switch, move only one and check if the VM networking keeps working. Doing this will avoid errors and downtime.

Marcelo Soares

View solution in original post

10 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If both nics have access to the same networks/vlans, you can detach one of your nics from the vDS, create a vSwitch with it, and then migrate the vmkernel interfaces one by one. AFAIK, there is no doc on doing this, but if you provide details about your vmnics, vswitch, vlans, etc, we can try to guide you from here.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Tom,

Did you get a chance to check this KB

VMware KB: Moving an ESX/ESXi host with vDS from one vCenter Server to another

Thanks,

Avinash

0 Kudos
thomasross
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you. After reading both these documents, I have a question.

I have two 10 GB nics that provide NAS storage, vmotion and VM ports.

Can I move one of the nics on a host to the standard vSwitch I create before I start moving VM ports and virtual adapters?

And then when everything is migrated to the vSwitch on that host, move the second 10 GB nic?

Is that an acceptable methodology?

Thanks again

Tom

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes, this is the only way you can do it. Aditionally, you can then remove the host from the vDS. I would also do the operation putting the host in Maintenance Mode.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
thomasross
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So, the steps would be:

1) Create a standard vSwitch containing the same VM ports as the vDS

2) Put host in maint mode

3) Move one 10 GB nic to the vSwitch

4) Migrate the VM ports and the virtual adapters

5) Move the second 10 GB port to the vSwitch

6) Disconnect host from vDS

7) Bring host out of maint mode

😎 Migrate VMs back to the host

Now you are ready to disconnect the host, remove it from vCenter and add it to the new vCenter.

And follow the KB articles pertaining to this.

Is this correct?

Thanks again!

Tom

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

This will work, but at some point of time you will need to migrate the VMs from the vDS to the std switches. I would include:

4. Migrate ONLY vmkernel adapters.

5. Remove the host from maintenance mode, migrate VMs back and migrate VM networking from vDS to std switches

6. migrate the second 10Gbit port from the vDS to the std switch

7. Remove host from vDS

You don't need to disconnet/connect the host from vcenter, with this you are good to go.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
thomasross
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks again. I was wondering about the vms.

So I need to migrate all the vms from the vds to the vswitch . Does this change apply to all esx hosts ?

You are correct . Removing the esx host from vcenter does not apply to migrating away from the vDS. The reason I am doing this however is to be able to move an esx host to a new vcenter.

Thanks !

Tom

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® II, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

No, you will need to do it on a per-host basis.

I really recommend doing it one by one, no hurry, and checking all the networking before doing the next move. Example: after migrating the vmkernel interfaces, check on an ssh connection to the host if it can vmkping the NAS. Before moving all VMs on the host to the std switch, move only one and check if the VM networking keeps working. Doing this will avoid errors and downtime.

Marcelo Soares
thomasross
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you

This has been extremely helpful

Tom

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® II, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You're welcome. If you can check the replies with "helpful" and/or "correct" answers, will appreciate Smiley Wink

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos