VMware Cloud Community
hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How do I know if I'm using VAAI?

We have a HDS HUS array which supports VAAI to which I have 3 hosts direct connected via FC.

The hosts are running 5.5 U2 and were installed and run in evaluation mode during the migration and we then entered license keys for Standard Edition.

The hosts have not been rebooted since entering the license keys.

DataMover.HardwareAcceleratedInit and DataMover.HardwareAcceleratedMove show "1" via Advanced Settings in vCenter and "Hardware Acceleration" shows as "Supported".

How can I tell if I'm actually using VAAI?

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalI... no mention of a reboot being needed to enable/disable it.

VMware seem to use lots of terms like "supported" vs. "I'm using it" which isn't helping much.

I found via reddit that you can view VAAI stats through esxtop and appears from the ATS counters that it is in use, but then I'm back to wondering how, since we only have Standard Edition licensing.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
bspagna89
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

I've seen VAAI's change datastore Hardware Acceleration to : Supported (Select a host -> Configuration -> Storage -> Hardware Acceleration column. I am not certain if this is the case for all VAAI's. You can also SSH into the host and run the following :

esxcli storage core device list

I think that command actually tells you if you're using a plugin. (I can't test at the moment).

New blog - https://virtualizeme.org/
0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh

login to one of your host thru ssh and execute #esxcli storage core device list and in the LUN status it will show you whther your LUN is suppotred by VAAI or not?

VAAI.JPGby default VAAI is enabled on Host level

0 Kudos
hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's the question though - everywhere I look it says "supported" and in esxtop I can see ATS and COPY_RD and COPY_WR counters increasing during traffic.

The thing is I didn't think VAAI comes with Standard licensing, which is what we have.

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The thing is I didn't think VAAI comes with Standard licensing, which is what we have.

Things you should know (TYSK) – VAAI and Licensing | vBrain.info 

/Rubeck

hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Rubeck wrote:

Things you should know (TYSK) – VAAI and Licensing | vBrain.info 

/Rubeck

Now that's very interesting Smiley Happy

How many other features are there that VMware enable but expect you to disable?

Genuine question as I don't know of any - for example I can't create a DVswitch.

Basically I'm curious if the explanation is a little simpler and it's just a bug or bad documentation?

0 Kudos
Alistar
Expert
Expert

Hi - take a look here VMware vSphere Editions and Kits Comparison | United States

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos