VMware Cloud Community
clprice
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I get my vm inventory back after a repair?

Recently do to a power outage I had to perform a repair on my vm esxi 4, the server comes up but all of my vm machines are no longer in inventory. I can see them on the datastore and I recreate them. However when I recreate them the snap shots are not available. How can I recreate the vm machines so that the snap shots are recognized?

thanks in advance

chad price

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums - All you really need to do was use the datastore browser and look for the VMX file in each VM subdirectory and add to inventory - this would have added the VMs back intot the inventory of your ESXi server - How did you 'recreate' your VMs? If you went in and created a new VM and when it came to storage pointed to the underlyuing virtual disk it would have created a VMX file that does not use the snapshots - if the snapshots still exist I am not sure what you will have to do access the snapshot data -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Marcj1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

From the vSphere client, select a host and on the Summary tab, right click the datastore that contains your VMs and select Browse Datastore. From there, within each VM folder, right click the .vmx file and select Add to Inventory. You should then be able to see your snapshots.

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums - All you really need to do was use the datastore browser and look for the VMX file in each VM subdirectory and add to inventory - this would have added the VMs back intot the inventory of your ESXi server - How did you 'recreate' your VMs? If you went in and created a new VM and when it came to storage pointed to the underlyuing virtual disk it would have created a VMX file that does not use the snapshots - if the snapshots still exist I am not sure what you will have to do access the snapshot data -

0 Kudos