ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  How do I get a NIC working for Ubuntu guests?

Posted Jun 30, 2009 01:32 PM

I am upgrading my ESXi servers from 3.5 to 4.0 - and migrating the guests across to the newer machines using the VMware Converter.

All good with the windows boxes - they are moving across happily, update the Vmware tools, upgrade the hardware...

But I am having an issue with a couple of Ubuntu 8.10 Server Edition VMs that I have - when I move these across, they come up without a network interface.

I have installed the VMware tools, and tried modprobing in pcnet32, vmxnet, vmxnet3...

no matter which I do, when I start the networking, it complains that No device is present. I have upgraded the virtual hardware, but get the same results.

What's the right way to do this?

• 2.  RE: How do I get a NIC working for Ubuntu guests?
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 30, 2009 02:43 PM

Strange, my Ubuntu 8 server updated fine except that it installed a new NIC. Prior to the update, was your Ubuntu server running vmtools? I know I had to manually install it versus let ESXi do it for you as the install option from the VI Client does not work. As for adapter types, without the updated vmtools, vmxnet2 and vmxnet3 should not work because of driver issues I believe. Mine is still set as flexible. Try reinstalling the vmtools manually and try re-adding the adapter. Also, what does ifconfig show you? Does it list a eth0 or just eth1? I had an issue after the upgrade because of the adapter change upon upgrade. I had to manualy modify /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and /etc/network/interfaces so that the new nic was renamed to eth0. Hope that helps.

• 3.  RE: How do I get a NIC working for Ubuntu guests?

Posted Jul 01, 2009 02:04 AM

Cheers Mate!

Once vmware tools was installed, then the machine migrated again, it picked up the NIC no problems.

I also had to edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net-rules to change the new NIC from eth1 to eth0 - at which point, all services popped back into life.

result!

• 4.  RE: How do I get a NIC working for Ubuntu guests?

Posted Jul 01, 2009 12:14 PM

Excellent! :smileygrin: