VMware Cloud Community
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

How do I determine ESXi 4.1 installation source image type?

Hi,

I have an ESXi 4.1 host running on HP hardware. Is there any way to know if it was installed using HP customized image or VMware generic image?

Thanks,

Michael.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
krishnaprasad
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The other way would be looking at the 'View Support Information ' in ESXi DCUI Screen. I've seen that this page is modified when the Server vendors releases the customized VMware ESXi images.

Thanks,

Krishnprasad

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

One way would be to look at the health data provided.  With the generic image you'll see for example the overall status of the memory in the host.  With the HP image (or generic image that has been updated with HP components) you'll see information about each memory DIMM.  Likewise for other server components. The above assumes that you're using an HP server which the HP CIM providers support.  If it's an older server it won't matter which image you use.

krishnaprasad
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The other way would be looking at the 'View Support Information ' in ESXi DCUI Screen. I've seen that this page is modified when the Server vendors releases the customized VMware ESXi images.

Thanks,

Krishnprasad

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you install the customisations post installation, you'll still see the HP info as mentioned above unfoirtunately.

The HP version is simply a recompiled version of the original, with the HP info injected - no different to a VM version, with HP patches applied.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work in my case. I have two identical servers (pretty old) with same BIOS and firmware versions. On one of them I see 87 sensors and on the second host I see 162 sensors. Eventually with the solution provided in this thread I figured out that both of them were installed using HP image.

What can be the reason for that?

Thanks,

Michael.

0 Kudos