VMware Cloud Community
Devan10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I create redundant (or mirrored) virtual servers?

Here's the senerio:

I have a VMWare ESX 4.1.0 server running 6 virtual servers (we'll call this server Server A).

I recently bought a new ESX 4.1.0 server and it is currently running 1 virtual machine (we'll call this server Server B).

Server A is running out of disk space, so I was going to move some of those virtual servers over to Server B (this is not a problem I know how do do this)

My question is:

Server B has 2 data stores DS1 has 1.75TB of space and DS2 has 930GB of space

I want to move most of the virtual servers from server A to DS2 on Server B then have those virtual servers mirrored to DS1 on Server B so that if there is a problem with DS2 the mirroed server on DS1 will take over and continue running. I would also like to mirror what I leave on Server A to DS1 on Server B.

Is this possible? If so, how do I go about doing it? Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have shared infrastructure between the two you could utilize Fault Tolerance.   

http://www.vmware.com/products/fault-tolerance/overview.html

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have shared infrastructure between the two you could utilize Fault Tolerance.   

http://www.vmware.com/products/fault-tolerance/overview.html

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

as suggested FT is the way to go, but is limited to 1 vCPU guests.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If I understand correctly, you have two hosts with local storage!?

Usually you would setup shared storage for a scenario where you want to have a failover capability. Due to the lack of shared storage you might be able to use replication software (e.g. from Veeam or Quest) which - however - can only replicate asynchronously. That means, in case of disaster you might loose some data.

André

Devan10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I guess that's the correct solution mittim12. I tried to add my VM servers to the Infrastructure client (as I have the full license for that), but it wouldn't let me, the VM servers are not compatiable. So I either have to pay for the full verson of Vsphere client or find a different way to accomplish this. Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos