VMware Cloud Community
ChanKaiShi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How do I copy VMDK files off Esxi file system?

Hello,

I have HDD with ESXi install which is not bootable, I'd like to copy just VMDK files off those HDDs to external HDD. What is the easiest way to do that? I envisioned something like booting system from USB drive and then copying files over that way but I have no idea what FS ESXi using and what USB boot image I shall be using.

Thanks,

G

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mikelane
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

http://www.heyweb.net/2010/08/vmfs-recovery-on-a-broken-array/

Live CD + install Java + install the Open VMFS driver to mount the partition looks to be a solution - see comments in above link.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
mikelane
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I select a VM in the vSphere Client, shut it down and then click File and export the VM as an .OVF file. This way the copy is thin provisioned at least.

0 Kudos
ChanKaiShi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can not boot esxi and don't want to spend time trying to fix it, I just need vmdk files off it.

0 Kudos
AxelSMI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Use winscp tool for windows or scp tool for linux for access to file system of ESXI.

You go to path of your vmdk file and copy on usb drive. the datastore path is /vmfs/volumes/ #datastore_name#/#folder# / #vmdk_file#

0 Kudos
ChanKaiShi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Server is NOT bootable. All I have access is drives themselves. I need copy VMDK files off it.

0 Kudos
mikelane
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

http://www.heyweb.net/2010/08/vmfs-recovery-on-a-broken-array/

Live CD + install Java + install the Open VMFS driver to mount the partition looks to be a solution - see comments in above link.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Plan A: create a ESXi  usb-stick on another host - boot the dead server with it - connect to it with FastSCP or Datastorebrowser and exports vmdks

Plan B: use a Linux LiveCD - only works if you use VMFS 3 - see my how to:

http://sanbarrow.com/reading-vmfs3-with-linux/

ChanKaiShi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How do I boot ESXi from USB stick?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I dont know which server that is - the hotkey to select boot-sequence maybe F2, F8 or F12

If you ask how to create one  ...

Plug in a USB-stick to the dead system
boot it from the esxi-installer CD
and install ESXi to USB - make sure you do NOT select the Repair option - that will probably make matters worse
when done - tell the machine to boot from USB on next start

AxelSMI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

All linux LIVE CD or USB flash drive with they access at esxi file system , you have permission to use FASTSCP or WINSCP for copy the wmdk file.

If you have WMFS-5 or WMFS-3 file system depend from your installation. Which file system you have installed?

Choose livecd or usb linux embedded installed with your file system feutures (vmfs5 o wmfs3, add feutures if your linux embedded choosed is supported) in your server and then use tools for copy your file.

Second possibility. Install esxi5 on usb bootable and you must explore the datastore with your .vmdk file, add second datastore and copy file from storage1 to storage2.

Installing ESXi 5.0 on a supported USB flash drive or SD flash card:http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2004784

0 Kudos
ChanKaiShi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

AxelSMI wrote:

Second possibility. Install esxi5 on usb bootable and you must explore the datastore with your .vmdk file, add second datastore and copy file from storage1 to storage2.

This is vSphere 5.0 VMFS.

I thought after I install ESXi on USB drive I boot from it and then connect to a datastore through Vmware console from remote machine, this is not the case? Can I copy somehow directly to attached USB drive formatted with NTFS?

0 Kudos
AxelSMI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, you can with command linux "SCP" or tool in remote machine that simulate scp command.

The usb key must be a mass storage drive reconized. Not all usb key have this feature.

On esxi in the /var/log/usb.log file the harddisk(USB) is recognized?

I don't have tested this solution because the usefull tools is recomended.

0 Kudos
AxelSMI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

in this kb the usb device supported

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1021345

0 Kudos
bschwartz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, I know this is a super old post. I am trying to mount my USB external HDD as a datastore to my ESXi 4.0 host so I can copy a VM guest onto it. I received the following from /var/log/usb.log:

usbarb[2840]: USBArb: Device 0:name:MelCo.\ HD-PZU3 vid:0411 pid:01f9 path:1/2 speed:high family:storage version:2 serialnum:010A0000010A id:10007041101f9 owner:(null)

This is in fact my USB drive, I'm just wondering how do I actually mount it and have the VM host recognize it and see it through vSphere?

Thanks,

Ben

0 Kudos