VMware Cloud Community
AdStar
Contributor
Contributor

How do I AutoDeploy with out a reference host profile.

Hi all,

This one is driving me nuts....
I have a small lab setup.
I have 4 hosts, all diskless.
One physical vcenter 5.0 server with my tftpd/dhcp/pxe, auto deploy, vcenter 5.0, powercli installed on it.

I can manage to setup host profiles and have figured out how to compliance, answer files etc (I think), I can boot a host as a firsttime boot, configure it, create a host profile set it all up, compliance it, answer file it etc, BUT when I reboot it it reads the profile but doesn't implement things like vSwitch config and starts in maintenance mode (even though I checked compliance and answer files before I rebooted it) then of course I can't modify the profile because it can't find the reference host which IS the machine I trying to reboot, this is host 1 of 4......The other 3 are off.

Is there no way to boot 4 diskless machines via pxe auto deploy without a reference host?

All I wish to do is be able to have my 4 hosts auto deploy/pxe boot and off I go. I used to do this with esxi4.0 using pxe and configBundle files that stored the configuration, that worked a treat, but now with esxi 5.0 I have no idea how to "start up" my environment from all 4 hosts being powered off.

Any advise where to figure this one out?

Cheers
Adam

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ramkrishna1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

p>Hi

Welcome to the communities.

I assume this may be due improper configure & reverse DNS lookup not update . /p>

When Auto Deploy adds a new host to the vCenter inventory it does a reverse DNS lookup on the management IP to determine the host’s Fully Qualified Hostname (FQHN).

"a journey of a thousand miles starts  with a single step."
0 Kudos