VMware Cloud Community
bdeltel
Contributor
Contributor

How can you force vCenter to never trigger a specific alarm for one VM?

Bonjour,

I got the question from one of my student:

- I have a VM (W2K3) running an application. Every 30mn the application load the CPU up to 100% for 15 to 20 minutes, then the VM goes back to normal. Currently we receive an alarm every time that VM goes to 100%.

- I want to find a solution to disable the alarm "VM CPU usage %" only for that VM.

We used the condition "not equal to" the VM name, but this disable the VM from the complete alarm set.

We will try this in the lab 16.

Any suggestion?

Thanks and best regards.

Bernard Delattre VCI, VCP5, VCAP
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MattG
Expert
Expert

You cannot disable the Alarm per VM, but you can disable the Alarm's action.

Right-click on the VM ->Alarms-> Disable Alarm Action

The alarm will still fire on the VM, but any actions (email, SMTP) will not fire.

-MattG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

You could also disable the alarm at the root of VC and then create folders under VMs and Templates view and create an Alarm per folder. This requires more management, but it is doable if you don't want to see the CPU Alarms in VC as well.

-MattG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos