VMware Cloud Community
joshrock11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How can you change the guest OS on a host after 4.0 upgrade.

On ESXi 3.5 U4 all our FreeBSD hosts were built with "Other Linux (32-bit)". How can I change these to FreeBSD (32-bit) now that I've upgraded to 4.0? I shutdown the host and tried to change it but it doesn't give me the option for FreeBSD.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

The VM needs to be powered down before you upgrade your virtual hardware. If you right click on a powered off VM, you'll have an option that says Upgrade Virtual Hardware

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello. I believe you will need to upgrade the virtual hardware to v7 before you can make this change.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
joshrock11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've hunted around the interface and can't find the option to upgrade the hardware. Also, can this be done with the host on or do I need to shut them down first?

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

The VM needs to be powered down before you upgrade your virtual hardware. If you right click on a powered off VM, you'll have an option that says Upgrade Virtual Hardware

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos