VMware Cloud Community
DIMITRIS87
Contributor
Contributor

How can i take backup the ESXI server not only the Virtual Machines on ESXi?

I am running an ESXI server with 10 Virtual machines on and i would like to take snapshot backup the whole ESXI not just one by one the virtual machines.Is this possible or there is a way to taking back with this kind of way?

4 Replies
jhague
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, it's not possible to snapshot the ESXi host itself (unless possibly if you're using a boot LUN on the SAN and use array level tools). You can backup the config though including vSS network settings and restore if you don't have the option to use host profiles for example. Usually it's pretty quick / easy to reinstall ESXi.

How to back up ESXi host configuration (2042141) | VMware KB

Remember snapshots themselves aren't a substitute for backups unless it's a snapshot as part of the backup process using something like VDP / VADP supported backup program.

John Hague http://linkedin.com/in/john-hague | twitter @jhague10 VCIX-DCV | VCP-DCV 3/4/5/6 | VCP6-NV | VCP7-CMA | VCAP7-CMA Design
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

There are many backup software for VMWare Backup that uses vStorage API to take backup of all your VMs on your ESXi host. Also note that, vStorage API based backup is the efficient of way of taking VMWare VM backup, and it does not works on free ESXi host. vStorage API supports all type of datastore and features like CBT. Taking snapshot of a vm is not considered as a backup.

DIMITRIS87
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot for the information and the reply.So is most likely to  schedule a snapshot for each vm machine there is any way to do it?taking schedule snapshot from each macine?

0 Kudos
jhague
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can create a scheduled task to create a snapshot but how are you going to actually backup the VMs as the snapshot itself is not a backup, just a very short term mechanism to capture changes to a delta file rather than the vmdk. If you don't have a backup program like VDP you'd need to look at copying the VM files.

John Hague http://linkedin.com/in/john-hague | twitter @jhague10 VCIX-DCV | VCP-DCV 3/4/5/6 | VCP6-NV | VCP7-CMA | VCAP7-CMA Design
0 Kudos