VMware Cloud Community
mjw123
Contributor
Contributor

How can i sort VM's by high i/o in vSphere ?

Hi,

I have an ESXi cluster  running several hundred VM's - i'm keen to establish which VM's are generating the highest level of storage i/o

Is this possible through vSphere - so they can be ranked to see say the top 20 busiest VM's ?

This could be done manually by looking at performance data for each but obviously a huge task.

tia,

mjw

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

This is something we've struggled with also.  My company is looking at Veeam One to be able to report on things like this. 

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you can also get this information through esxtop, although only real-time

0 Kudos
JagadeeshDev
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you have powerCli , try this

Conenct to VI-Server

Get-VM | Select-Object Name, NumCPU, MemoryMB, ProvisionedSpaceGB | Export-Csv

This will give you name of VM, and the utilization .

Cheers !

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, and/or Mark As Answer

http://www.myitblog.in/
0 Kudos
mjw123
Contributor
Contributor

Any further thoughts on this - i've tried batch capture in esxtop but the output is difficult to get meaningful information from.

0 Kudos
vFantastic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The free vCenter Operations Manager(Foundation) can provide some great insight to Disk IO and problematic VMs and doesn't take too long to implement. Also the analytics available with the paid versions provide exactly what you are looking for.

0 Kudos