VMware Cloud Community
RedDominik
Contributor
Contributor

How can i configure the 2nd IP-Adress for vmnic1

Hello world!

I want to know how i can configure the network settings for a nic on a ESXi machine. Should be easy but i cant find the correct command line arguments.

vmnic0 is ready and set up

vmnic1 needs IP 192.168.0.9/24 to reach an internal subnet.

Cant find ping, ifconfig and other known cmd tools.

Who an help me?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - Physical  NICs are not assigned IP they are assigned either to the vmkernel ports or to the virtual machines themselves.

The networking section in http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_esxi_server_config.pdf should help

What are you trying to do?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
RedDominik
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

vmnic1 is connected to another Root-Server via Crossover. I wanted to setup an NFS-Server on Machine 2 so that i can put some backup files for my machines over NFS. I thought it would be fine to give ESXI's vmnic1 an ip address so that he can connect to the NFS-Server on machine2. That was the plan so far.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Review the document I have in my post - what you will have to do is create a second virtual switch connecting it to VMNIC1 wirh a second VMKERNEL port and assign the IP addres and network configuration -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
RedDominik
Contributor
Contributor

OH. Sorry iam new to esxi. Didtn thougt that i have to use a VMKernel for this scenario.

What about the GW for the second vSwitch. Can i change it or do i have to change it? This assistant picked up the GW from vSwitch0. Currently i left it like it was (GW from vSwitch0).

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

No worries - Networking in an ESXi server at its core is done throught the use of virtual switches. The virtual switch will have either VMkernel ports. Virtual Machine port groups, or if you are running ESX Service Console Ports - A virtual switch can have be just for one type of Port or Port Group or mixture of different types -

VMkernel ports are used for management and are assigned IP addresses - they are use for managemnt of you severs as well connecting to IP Based storage like NAS/NFS or iSCSI and vMorion. You can only have a single GW address for a vmkernel port. IN you case you will want to use the GW address for the network that is not direct attached -

VM Port Groups is what you will connect your virtual machines to.

0 Kudos
RedDominik
Contributor
Contributor

Perfect explanation. Many thanks!

Maybe youll hear from me soon again Smiley Wink

0 Kudos