VMware Cloud Community
tickermcse76
Contributor
Contributor

How can I update Dell custom ESXi install image with new patches?

I have downloaded both the below files and tried to merge them into an ISO in PowerCLI:

(Dell custom ESXi bundle) VMware-ESXi-6.0.0.update01-3073146.x86_64-Dell_Customized-offline-bundle-A01.zip

(VM ESXi 6 201601001 Patch) ESXi600-201601001.zip

The ESXi patch is actually just as big if not bigger than the entire bundle, contains its own image profile, and contains around 80 packages.    Would I have to add all of these packages to a new image profile I create based on the Dell custom ESXi image profile; or the reverse and just add the Dell specific packages to the ESXi patch bundle?  I have added various plugins/addons/drivers to a base image in the past, and they typically contain one to a handful of packages; whereas the ESXi "patch" appears to be a full blown version of ESXi.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Techie01
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

>>whereas the ESXi "patch" appears to be a full blown version of ESXi.<<

Even though the ESXi patch zip files looks to be a full blown version of ESXi, careful examination of individual vibs will show that majority of the VIBs have not changed comapred to previous release

One way to solve your problem is to selectively add only the changed vibs into your existing image profile

0 Kudos
tickermcse76
Contributor
Contributor

I think I will try to take the missing packages from Dell (mostly just drivers) and add them to the ESXi bundle.

I'm not convinced the "ESXi patch"  bundle doesn't contain everything; I can't see why it would have an "image profile" unless it was complete.  When I have downloaded addons/drivers etc, they only have a list of bundled packages, but no image profile.

0 Kudos
Techie01
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ESXi patch is a complete bundle. But every esxi patch will not change the complete set of vibs , only a few of them would be changed in that patch release, remaining all will be same as old release

0 Kudos