VMware Cloud Community
MCioe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How can I set up pam_passwdqc on an ESXi host?

I would like to set the password complexity for the new accounts on my ESXi 5.0 (updated 2) host to be a minimum of 14 characters, and have at least 1 of each of the following: 1 upper case char, 1 digit, 1 lowercase char, 1 special char and no dictionary words (passphrases).

I updated the /etc/pam.d/passwd file to look like the following (changed the default min=8,8,8,7,6)

password   requisite   /lib/security/$ISA/pam_passwdqc.so retry=3 min=disabled,disabled,disabled,disabled,14

I then go up to the VI Client and try to create a user on the host with this new complexity and it will only accept a password with a minimum of 30 characters.

When I set it to set min=disabled,disabled,disabled,14,14 the min password length accepted was 18.

I started playing around and changed it to min=disabled,disabled,disabled,10,10 and that let me have a 15 char password.

Does anyone know what is going on here?  I'm not sure if this is an ESXi problem or a pam module problem, but it appears the pam_passwdqc.so module behaves differently on ESXi5.0 and ESX 3.5.  I tried the same thing on an ESX 3.5 Red Hat Linux host and it didn't work there eitherr, but I got different results.

I appreciate any insight on this.

Maureen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MCioe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I did figure out my issue on this.  The min=disabled,disabled,disabled,disabled,14 setting did ultimately work.

My best guess on the problem is that I was using a passphrase from the passphrase dictionary and needed more chars in the password to compensate for it.  When I switched to a more random set of strings it was fine.

One thing I did discover is that if the first char in the password is uppercase, it is not counted as an uppercase char, you need the uppercase chars to be in the middle of the password.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MCioe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I did figure out my issue on this.  The min=disabled,disabled,disabled,disabled,14 setting did ultimately work.

My best guess on the problem is that I was using a passphrase from the passphrase dictionary and needed more chars in the password to compensate for it.  When I switched to a more random set of strings it was fine.

One thing I did discover is that if the first char in the password is uppercase, it is not counted as an uppercase char, you need the uppercase chars to be in the middle of the password.

0 Kudos