VMware Cloud Community
cdx_lab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How can I restrict a resource pool to a single datastore?

I am setting up an exercise environment for different groups of users and want to limit access/permissions to users in each resource pool so that they only see the datastore where their enclave of vms resides.  I have been able to configure the shares of CPUs and RAM appropriately, but the storage access is stumping me.  For clarification: I am not worried about storage I/O, just permissions/quotas on the datastore itself.  Has anyone done this before?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cdx_lab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just what I needed.  Thank you very much.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If i have understood your requirement right,

You have a cluster and you have created resource pools on them. You are assigning a bunch of users/user to each resource pool.

Now you need to make sure they have access only to one datastore or you basically need to limit them to deploy machines on certain datastore/datastores.

One thing you can do is give permissions on each datastore. You will not be able to give quotas at vCenter level. You will need tools like vCloud director for that.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
cdx_lab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wow, quick reply.  Can this be accomplished with vSphere?  That's all I have currently available.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Like i said, you can do it using permissions.

Imagine you have three resource pools and 3 datastores, and you have assigned it to 3 groups.

Now you need to go to datastore1 and give permissions only for group 1.  And you do this for other two groups too.

The only challenge is that, if you need all three groups to collectively see all the datastores and limit them on deploying/consuming a XGB of storage across the datastores, it will not be achievable.

Same happens with that single datastore you assign per group. the group can use the whole datastore. You can't limit there too. Only good thing is that they won't be able to deploy across other datastores.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
cdx_lab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just what I needed.  Thank you very much.

0 Kudos