VMware Cloud Community
qwer11121
Contributor
Contributor

How can I create a cloned VM based on a snapshot?

In VMware Workstation, I can create a cloned VM based on a snapshot. How can I do this in ESXi or vCenter?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This KB article talks about many different ways to copy or clone a VM in ESXi

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100093...

You can definitely clone a VM and I believe ones with snapshots but unless I missed it I don't think the Workstation 'Clone based on a snapshot' exists.

Pete

--------

www.liquidwarelabs.com

www.thevirtualheadline.com

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

qwer11121 wrote:

In VMware Workstation, I can create a cloned VM based on a snapshot. How can I do this in ESXi or vCenter?

Only one way I can think take another snapshot (for the current configuration).  Power off the VM, revert to that other snapshot, make the clone.  revert the most recent snapshot (for the newest current configuration). power on the VM.

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

"... create a cloned VM based on a snapshot"

I think what you might be referring to is linked clones which indeed are available in VMware Workstation.. (and have been so for quite a while). Also available in VMware View ofc..

What you could do, if having vCenter, is to write a Powershell script which does this... The ability to create linked clones using the vSphere API has been available since 4.0, AFAIK.. Dont know if it exists in the 5.0 API, though.. but I would expect it to.

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
yannara
Contributor
Contributor

In vCenter, you do it with build-in clone+template functions, it´s very simple!

In ESXi, depending of your license features, you have this clone option available, or not.

If you don´t have any tools of cloning, simplest way is just a copy VM to another folder, perhaps in some config files change the name of the machine and add it to inventory. There you have a cloned VM manually Smiley Happy

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

exactly the same way as in Workstation - it just takes a few more steps with esxi

have a look here - it describes how to create linked clones completely manually
http://sanbarrow.com/linkedcloneswithesxi.html

all manual edits are done on Windows using your admin host - so it is quite easy to follow

if you are looking for a full clone use vmkfstools
find out which snapshot vmdk you need
then run
vmkfstools -i master-vm-00000x.vmdk /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/path-to-full-clone-directory/clone.vmdk

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Uli,

Thanks for the post, I didn't realize that one.

Pete

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

continuum would your approach work for a small VDI deployment (<10 users) instead of purchasing View?

Also, is there a way of automating your linked clones method?

Thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Sure - if you want to do some scripting this can be used as poor man's View

if you need help send a PM

0 Kudos