VMware Cloud Community
EltonFigueira
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How can I change the license to another host?

Hi,

I'm replacing a host, but can't change the license to the new host.

The option to change the license on the vCenter (administration, license, manage vsphere licenses) appears dimmed (unavailable).

All licenses I own are associated with old hosts. I can't add new hosts because all licenses are associated with the old hosts. I've removed the host the vCenter, but the license is still assigned.

How do I change the license of a old host (which will not longer use) by the new host?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As mentioned before, it should actually take only a few minutes, so with the two days you already waited there seems to be something wrong. Please take a look at VMware KB: vCenter Server 6.0 incorrectly displays the amount of licenses in use by ESXi hosts to see whether this helps identifying/solving the issue. In case you are unsure consider to open a support case with VMware.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

After removing a host from vCenter Server it may take a few minutes until the licence is released, and available for again.

What may speed up this process is to restart the vCenter Server services. However, I'd suggest you just wait for the licenses to be released. New hosts come with a 60-day evaluation period, so there shouldn't be any issues adding them to vCenter Server without immediately assigning the license.

André

0 Kudos
EltonFigueira
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

André,

I did it! but the licenses were not released even after waiting two days. If you watch the attachment, I have fewer hosts than associated licenses.

How long should I wait?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As mentioned before, it should actually take only a few minutes, so with the two days you already waited there seems to be something wrong. Please take a look at VMware KB: vCenter Server 6.0 incorrectly displays the amount of licenses in use by ESXi hosts to see whether this helps identifying/solving the issue. In case you are unsure consider to open a support case with VMware.

André

0 Kudos
EltonFigueira
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, thanks!

I will open a support case with VMware.

0 Kudos