VMware Cloud Community
pjeyara573
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How Snapshot Delete works

Hi,

I have a VM with snapshot 1 and its the parent of the VM's current state. Then I make some update, take snapshot 2 and it becomes the parent of the VM current state.

1. If i revert my VM to snapshot 1 and delete the snapshot 2 will the snapshot 2 merged with snapshot 1. Because i read somewhere  " If we choose to delete  an individual snapshot, then just that snapshot is merged into its parent snapshot "

2. what will happen if i delete snapshot 2 without reverting the VM to snapshot 1.

Thanks and regards

J.P Raj

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

the wording is kind of confusing. If you "Delete" a snapshot, its contents are merged into its direct parent. If you revert to a snapshot, all changes will be discarded but the snapshot will still show up but the snapshot file is basically empty, so when you Delete this snapshot after reverting to it, there's nothing that can/will be merged into its parent.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

the wording is kind of confusing. If you "Delete" a snapshot, its contents are merged into its direct parent. If you revert to a snapshot, all changes will be discarded but the snapshot will still show up but the snapshot file is basically empty, so when you Delete this snapshot after reverting to it, there's nothing that can/will be merged into its parent.

André

0 Kudos
Jayden56
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

Here you have 2 questions.

1. Yes you are right if you delete an intermediate snapshot, the information it contains will be merged into the subsequent snapshot.         You cannot delete the root icon. It disappears only when you delete all snapshots in the tree.

2.When a snapshot is deleted, the parent becomes the deleted snapshot       if Snapshot 2 is deleted then Snapshot 1 effectively becomes what Snapshot 2 was.       Since the contents of snapshot 2 are merged into snapshot 1

pjeyara573
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So to be precise ,i can revert the VM to snapshot 1 and delete the snapshot 2 . So merging happens

But if delete snapshot 2 without reverting or when snapshot 2 is current parent  then it merge the content with snapshot 1

Thanks & regards

J.P Rja

0 Kudos