VMware Cloud Community
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How CLoning Process works in the background???

Dear VMware Experts,

I want to know " How CLoning Process works in the background???" , as per my understanding is it work like this

1) Snapshot a Cloned VM

2) Registering a VM to a destination host

3)Copy the .vmdk files to a destination host

4)commit the snapshot disk to the destination host (changed blocks r commited)

Can sum1 brief the cloning process.....

Regards

Mr VMware

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Almost correct, step 4 the snapshot disk gets committed to the source VM not to the destination VM, with a vCenter hot-clone no changes after the clone operation is started (i.e. the snapshot is added to the source VM) will be written to the destination VM.

If you use VMware Converter it has a "synchronization" option that you can check so that it does a multiple passes to pick up any changes that happended during the clone operation.

One more thing to remember is that hot-clones are crash consistant so there is the possibilty to lose some data, although in my experience it's never been a problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

That's the right order things happen.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Almost correct, step 4 the snapshot disk gets committed to the source VM not to the destination VM, with a vCenter hot-clone no changes after the clone operation is started (i.e. the snapshot is added to the source VM) will be written to the destination VM.

If you use VMware Converter it has a "synchronization" option that you can check so that it does a multiple passes to pick up any changes that happended during the clone operation.

One more thing to remember is that hot-clones are crash consistant so there is the possibilty to lose some data, although in my experience it's never been a problem.

0 Kudos
Socrates82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

regarding this : (i.e. the snapshot is added to the source VM) will be written to the destination VM.

you mean it will NOT be written to the destination VM, correct?

0 Kudos
lenzker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

>Almost correct, step 4 the snapshot disk gets committed to the source VM not to the destination VM, with a vCenter hot-clone no changes after the clone operation is started (i.e. the snapshot is added to the source VM) will be written to the destination VM.

>regarding this : (i.e. the snapshot is added to the source VM) will be written to the destination VM.

you mean it will NOT be written to the destination VM, correct?

ok, it's getting complicated here with you double negativity here (almost like in strange multiple choice questions  Smiley Happy)

"no changes .... will be written to the destination VM" is correct.

which means at the same time that "it will NOT be written to the destination VM"

//otherwise it would be "no changes ... will not be written to the destination VM" which would mean the changes will be written....:-)

VCP,VCAP-DCA,VCI -> https://twitter.com/lenzker -> http://vxpertise.net
0 Kudos
Socrates82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ah lol, I understand now, it was just becuase you put the 'no' long way before, and for a non native english speaker it will be hard to understand,, hader than understanding cloning and snapshots :smileygrin:

Things are clear now for me,

Thanks , Cheers.

0 Kudos
sachindtorne
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi All,

Can you please tell me what is meaning of below sentence.

Registering a VM to a destination host
I understand all mention point except above line.
Thanks In Advance.

0 Kudos