VMware Cloud Community
winshenting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hot-Pluggable virtual HW

I have new VM which was installed with Windows 2008. The VM has already been installed with VM tools. BTW, the VM is version 7. The license feature of the ESX includes Hot-Pluggable virtual HW. But why could I not see the Hot-Pluggable option in the setting?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

What sort of resource are you trying to add? For memory and CPU you have to enable the option before you can use it. Also which edition of vSphere and W2K8 are you using? You need Advanced or better for vSphere to use hot-add.

0 Kudos
winshenting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just want to add memory.

Windows 2008 standard

VM 7

ESX4.0, 175625

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

For a W2K8 VM you need to shutdown the VM and enable the hot add memory option. But there's also the issue of guest OS support and standard doesn't support it - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/r2-compare-specs.aspx.

0 Kudos
winshenting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dave,

Yes, indeed. I need to shutdown the PC. But before what you said, I have tried it. There is not such Hot plug option. The system Windows 2008 standard is not the problem here. Standard support hot plug memory, not support hot plug CPU. I have one server windows 2008 standard working well. but why this new machine could not reach what i want.

0 Kudos
winshenting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dave,

I found the reason. I gonna tell you the mistake I made.

Before creating the VM, I select windows 2003 standard by mistake, then I install windows 2008 on it.

Therefore, even that I install windows 2008 standard and get the license, I still could not reach the hot-plug.

I changed the windows 2003 to windows 2008 32bit. works

0 Kudos
winshenting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

fix by myself

0 Kudos