VMware Cloud Community
jrdba
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hostname does not resolve

Hi folks. I'm getting back to VMware installations after a few years and am having a hard time getting my ESX5i install on VMware Fusion to work properly (testing/re-learning). After installation, i try to configure the network settings and am able to successfully setup the ip/gateway up but when i enter a new host name I am not able to get it to resolve properly on my web browser. I setup the static ip address as 192.168.1.19 and the default gateway and dns server as 192.168.1.1. But after setting the hostname as 'esx5i' (no quotes ofcourse) I am not able to resolve to the welcome screen on my Firefox browser to the ESX 5.1 Welcome screen. I can however enter 192.168.1.19 on the web browser and it brings me to the welcome page successfully. Also when i attempt a 'Test management network' the test only passes the ip addresses but NOT the resolving hostname (esx5i) - Failed. What am i doing wrong? Please help. Thank you!

P.S. My vm network is setup as 'Bridged' in case that was an issue.

7 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

This is completely a DNS issue, not ESX issue. If your machine is not capable of translating a name to an IP, you need to check your DNS server config.

Marcelo Soares
jrdba
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I actually do not have a DNS server setup, this is all just in a home training scenario (no AD server either). I suspect that may be the issue. Thanks for responding.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Without a DNS server you will not be able to resolve a host name - you can either just use IP address or create a host file

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
JarryG
Expert
Expert

If you do not have dns-server, you can still resolve names using "hosts" file which lists static IP/dn pairs. In mac/unix/linux it is in /etc/hosts, windows has it somewhere in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. Just add line:

192.168.1.1     esx5i

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
jrdba
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Would I update the etc hosts file on the virtualized ESX 5i node only? Thanks!

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert

you can, but you have to update hosts file on the computer from which you want to connect to esxi (i.e. the one running vsphere-client or vsphere-server)...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
jrdba
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you Jarry!

0 Kudos