VMware Cloud Community
Marcin_Rybak
Contributor
Contributor

HostUpdateException when trying to scan for patches

I have a problem with upgrading ESXi 4.0.0 build 193498 to 4.0 U1, at first the upgrade just failed (nothing in logs), now when I try to find updates - there is a error like this:

The scan operation has failed ([-1]: ). Futher details about this failure can be read from the log file "c:\Documents and Settings\XPMUser\Local Settings\Application Data\VMware\VIU\logs\viu-2.log

As an attachment I send you viu-2.log, I try to do upgrade in maintenance mode, restart and so on, but nothing helped (even reinstaling vSphere Host Update Utility).

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

If you look through the logs there are many error messages.

HTTP download temp file failed: The remote name could not be resolved: 'hostupdate.vmware.com' Failure details: System.Net.WebException: The remote name could not be resolved: 'hostupdate.vmware.com'

Check DNS.

I would open the log and just do a search for "error"

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
Marcin_Rybak
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for answer, sorry for that, previous log was made through WAN, and wasn't correct, please see log from direct connection

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 10.8.13.1:443
Host: https://192.168.1.238/sdk

and

There was an error setting up ESXi installation destination
It seems that host booted either from PXE or ISO image, esxupdate is not supported in this mode.

Make sure time is correct. If you are were using a proxy, check that it is or is not enabled depending on your location. Try installing the Host Update Utility to another machine.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Marcin_Rybak
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for help. I tried from another host, seems to show only error connected with:

There was an error setting up ESXi installation destination
It seems that host booted either from PXE or ISO image, esxupdate is not supported in this mode.

but it is not true, it has been instaled at SD card inerted in dedicated slot in HP DL 380 G6, actual log file as an attachment

i also checked time settings it's correct and up to date using ntp

0 Kudos