VMware Cloud Community
ayanes21
Contributor
Contributor

Host using only one path

I have three hosts in a cluster and all three are using the latest dell MEM module for MPIO.  However one of the hosts is only using 1 path for all datastores except one and this changes each time i do a rescan of the HBA.  If I look at my other hosts in the same cluster they show 8 devices 16 paths.  The faulty one shows 8 devices 9 paths and one of them is coming up as dead or sometimes it says 8 devices 8 paths.  How can I figure out why this host is not using all available paths

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Gortee
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

A few questions to help frame the problem.  I assume this is Fiber channel.  What type of array? What type of zoning?  

If indeed you have a single lun missing paths from your storage array while other luns from the same array are showing then I can only think of two things that could cause it:

1. Presentation on the storage array lun side is missing paths

2. You presented it as a different lun number to some paths and the lun number is higher than the highest current lun.

Please provide more info and I'll see if I can help.

Thanks,

J

Joseph Griffiths http://blog.jgriffiths.org @Gortees VCDX-DCV #143
0 Kudos
Shrikant_Gavhan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Ayanes,

Could you please check the zoning performed with the third esxi host.

It must be baucause the LUN's are presented to only One WWPN.

Thanks and Regards,

Shrikant Gavhane.

Thanks and Regards, Shrikant Gavhane
0 Kudos
ayanes21
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I forgot to mention i am using iscsi with the iSCSI software adapter to a Dell EqualLogic SAN array

0 Kudos
King_Robert
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

right click on ISCSI Array controller and select properties to select Multi pathing, by default round robin method for path selection is selected.

0 Kudos
ayanes21
Contributor
Contributor

I am using the Dell MEM module which sets the multi pathing to Dell_PSP_EQL_ROUTED

0 Kudos
Shrikant_Gavhan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Ayanes21,

Please check your configuration for software scsi adapter on esxi host on which you are facing issue.

select the s/w scsi adapter -> properties -> network configiration tab  , here please make sure that you have selected the vmkernel port created for iscsi connectivity.

you can try checking the network reachability to the scsi target as well.

Thanks and Regards,

Shrikant Gavhane

Thanks and Regards, Shrikant Gavhane
0 Kudos