VMware Cloud Community
g3uiss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Host update issues with ESX4i build 175625

I have issues with the HUU build 208111 on an ESX4i 175625. THe Host Update Utility tells me that this host cannot be patched or upgraded. I understood the HUU was backward compatible. Please see screen shot. If I roll back to the previous build HUU it apears fine (But needs the W7 work around)

Tony

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I don't know if this instruction can do anything for you or not. but I hope it do something.

As you know (may be until know you understand it) you cann't set the SNMP in ESXi free (when you applying your free license).

For more information about snmp check this link.

check this link may be you can do it for update too. Smiley Wink

-= If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" =-

-= If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! =-

-= Thanks =-

MCTS, VCP

If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! Sohrab Kasraeianfard | http://www.kasraeian.com | @Kasraeian

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

Check these Links

KB for your Problem

And also this thread.

I hope these links help.

-= If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" =-

-= Thanks =-

MCTS, VCP

If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! Sohrab Kasraeianfard | http://www.kasraeian.com | @Kasraeian
0 Kudos
g3uiss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Thanks for response.

Both those items refer to ESX hosts not ESXi. I do understand the HUU cant be used on ESX, but why not this ESXi host. It was designed for where you dont have the Virtual Centre on the free product

Tony

0 Kudos
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Your welcome,

First of all, what exactly do you want to do? You have an ESXi 4.0 server which you want to update it (applying patch on it)?

You can use vSphere client by "vihostupdate.pl" to remotely patch it, If there's no problem in using CLI.

you can find some info about "vihostupdate.pl" here and here.

Second, the KB Article: 1012467 is refer to both ESX and ESXi

>Products:

>VMware ESX

>VMware ESXi

>Product Versions:

>VMware ESX 4.0.

-= Thanks =-

MCTS, VCP

g3uiss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, yes perhaps the CLI is the answer. Just confused as to why this version of the HUU gives the error, whilst the previous build does not (Even though you have to fiddle to get it working under W7)

All I want to do is take my ESX4i to U1

Tony

0 Kudos
danm66
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

check C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\VMware\VIU\logs for the viu-#.log. See if it gives any extra detail about why it doesn't want to do anything.

0 Kudos
g3uiss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Thanks for that. have attached log, as I cant see anthything that give a clue ?

Tony

0 Kudos
g3uiss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It seems the CLI is a read only in the free version ! So still stuck with host upgrade / patch ?

0 Kudos
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What do you mean by CLI is a read only in the free version?

There is software "vSphere CLI" which you should download it, after installation there would be some .pl (perl script) on your system which they will handle some of your needs.

you can download vsphere cli here and its documentation here

Its Free for download and use.

-= Thanks =-

MCTS, VCP

g3uiss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

From the documentation the CLI is read only for the free version of ESXi. I understand this to mean you cant alter anything on the free ESX4i. Not sure if this applies to the pgrade process.

The documentation from VMware is very confusing at times !

Thanks

Tony

0 Kudos
danm66
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sorry I'm late for the party...

If you have time, can you see if the HUU still says that it can't patch this host? If so, clear out the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VI Update\vmw\metadata dir, open up HUU and allow it to go out and search for patches.

0 Kudos
g3uiss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Tried that, there were 2 zip files, delete both and tried the HUU again. Still gives same message and downloded the same files.

I used the CLI to check what had been updated (vihostupdate.pl --server 000.000.0.0 -g)

Indicated 4 patches. It seems just the Kernal is not being updated to the latest version, as the Tools, Client Firmware and a CISO patch have been applied.

I am not sure if there is anyway to update the kernal. It seems the HUU is only used for going from ESX3.5i to ESX4i and not for Kernal updates. I expect perhaps a "patch" will come out to fix this but how to apply such a patch will be a challange !

Tony

0 Kudos
danm66
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The original release (164009) of the HUU was only for upgrading hosts from 3.x to 4.0, but the U1 version does install patches. I used it to upgrade my ESXi 4 vm I have running in workstation.

Did you install the cisco nexxus package? Then that is probably the cause of your issues. http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1012467

0 Kudos
g3uiss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes I did install that update. Any suggestions on how to remove it as the CLI is only "ead Only" for the free ESX4i

Tony

0 Kudos
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I don't know if this instruction can do anything for you or not. but I hope it do something.

As you know (may be until know you understand it) you cann't set the SNMP in ESXi free (when you applying your free license).

For more information about snmp check this link.

check this link may be you can do it for update too. Smiley Wink

-= Thanks =-

MCTS, VCP

0 Kudos
g3uiss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Thanks but managed via the CLI. After removal all patches were showing and Host sucessfully updated to latest build.

Tony

0 Kudos