VMware Cloud Community
iamphane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Host not able to ping by IP or Hostname

Hi

Q1)i have two clusters in one data center. cluster one is running on vlan 222 and its ip range .cluster two is running with vlan 245 and its IP range.Now i have completely decommissioned cluster one from v center.And then renamed ,re-IPd those hosts to vlan 245 and its IP range (that is cluster two range ).DNS entry also done. when i tried to ping renamed or re-IPd hosts , am not able to ping .whats the reason ?

Both cluster hosts are Cisco servers and configured on diffrent Nexus 1000v switch .Is that some thing that need to add physical server to vLan 245 ? or host was not release from old IP range ? whats the reason ,why hosts were not able to ping .?

Q2) we have recently upgraded to ESXi 5.1 after upgrading we are getting an issue hosts offen disconnects from vcenter .I will have to manually re-connect hosts back to vcenter .why its happening like this ?No error found in logs ?  any idea ?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

DNS entry also done. when i tried to ping renamed or re-IPd hosts , am not able to ping .whats the reason ?

Just to make preliminary checks, in the vswitch side, can you confirm the addition of VLANs in the management network. Also, from the switch side, can you confirm if the particular port connected is having the vlan allowed.. I think you can do this via IOS in the cisco switch.

after upgrading we are getting an issue hosts offen disconnects from vcenter

Just make a check that the heartbeat port 902 is not blocked by any firewall or the switch configuration.  Have a check here
VMware KB: ESXi/ESX host disconnects from vCenter Server after adding or connecting it to the invent...

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you tagged VLAN 245 to your NIC on the service profile?

If you have a vSwitch with portgroup configured for 245 and its not tagged on Physical NIC the traffic won't flow out.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
William22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

First thing you need to ping other IP of that network ,if ok

then check NIC configuration , gateway assigned to volume2.

"Whoever is happy will make others happy too."
0 Kudos