VMware Cloud Community
tharpy
Contributor
Contributor

Host loses config

Standalone ESXi (installable) host (build 181792)....host was shut down hard due to power failure. Came up with "no operating system", so performed a repair, using 164009 install disk, then used host update utility to patch to current level. On console, entered static IP, DNS, etc... Everything looking good at this point. Connected using client, entered my license key....registered my vm's...all ok.

Reboot the host and system reverts to defaults (dhcp, no dns, no time, no license, no vm's, etc.). Besides this, the only other symptom is that I cannot see the local vmfs (on the boot drive). The only thing I can think of is that after the repair, the system mentioned something about being in "audit mode". Could that have something to do with this?

Any ideas before I rebuild this from scratch? Anyone else tried a "repair"? Usually, we just rebuild a sick host, but was kinda hoping to recover what I could....

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Any ideas before I rebuild this from scratch?

I think the entire installation is suspect. I would start over, but you can retain the vmfs volumes. Just install, retain vm / vmfs datastore, accept the defaults for the configuration. Then make sure you update to the latest build, there is a known bug that causes a problem with some RAID controllers, that may have caused the issue.

0 Kudos