VMware Cloud Community
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Host doesn't have a journal...

Dear Team,

Suddenly our Datastore losses connectivity with our ESX servers and the running VMs are poweredoff because .vmdk is not accessible to these ESX host.

once the Datastore connectivity restored and I tried to poweron those VMs then i m getting the following error

er.JPG

the issue has been rwesolved i have vmotioed esx1  vms to esx2 and esx2 vms to esx1. in simple english i just want to know what this error means ...........

regards

Mr VMware

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MartinAmaro
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It means that since the host lost access to the datastore it could not read the Journal files from the VMFS volume.

VMFS is a journal file system when a crash occurs, it does not run a full fsck on the volume, but merely checks the journal.

if you are curious to see the journal files then you can run the ls -a command in a volume eg ls -a /vmfs/volumes/Thevolume

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MartinAmaro
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It means that since the host lost access to the datastore it could not read the Journal files from the VMFS volume.

VMFS is a journal file system when a crash occurs, it does not run a full fsck on the volume, but merely checks the journal.

if you are curious to see the journal files then you can run the ls -a command in a volume eg ls -a /vmfs/volumes/Thevolume

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
BharatR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Every ESX host keeps a journal for each VMFS-3  volume it uses. The journal is written to the LUN. This means that a VMFS-3  volume that is shared by five ESX hosts has five journals written on  it.
The errors  appear when the journal has been overwritten by another ESX host or the host's  journal is lost. The errors stop after the virtual machine has been  VMotioned because the new ESX host still has a journal on that  volume.
Best regards, BharatR--VCP4-Certification #: 79230, If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".