VMware Cloud Community
bighead81
Contributor
Contributor

Host does not support passthourgh configuration - ESXI 5.5

I am setting up a home media server.  I have so far installed esxi 5.5 update 2 (running of USB) and Freenas VM.  However all of my hard drives can be viewed within esxi but nothing can be seen within Freenas.  I really cant find a solution to my issue and wondering if people here can shed some light or point me in the right direction.

CPU :  AND FX 8320

Mobo : ASUS m5a75l m usb3

What do I need to do for the freenas to see the hard drives which are 4 x 3tb wd green which are all using IDE.

The cpu and mobo both support vx-t and I have enabled the function in the BIOS for mobo but what im seeing is esxi 5.5 > advanced setting > "host does not support passthrough configuration".  What do I need to do or what am I missing?

End goal is to have esxi running freenas as storage and plex media player for all of media content and secondary VM running Ubuntu for networking test for myself.

A pint for the right answer! 🙂

0 Kudos
3 Replies
prasannag6
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Possible solution I can see is to format the disks from ESXi and use them as VMFS datastores. Add virtual disks to the FreeNAS VM, place them in these datastores and configure the volumes from FreeNAS.

----------If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points (use Correct or Helpful buttons). Regards, Prasanna----------
0 Kudos
bighead81
Contributor
Contributor

I have read that ZFS needs to be configured within Freenas to be able to install and use plex plug in.  Would your recommended scenario effect this?

0 Kudos
prasannag6
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As long as the virtual machine's operating system is supported in vSphere, the virtual disks presented to it act as though they are normal physical hard drives. So the volume managers inside the VM should be able to detect the virtual disks. I am not sure about the plex plugin part though, since I have not configured them before..

----------If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points (use Correct or Helpful buttons). Regards, Prasanna----------
0 Kudos