VMware Cloud Community
markubiCZ
Contributor
Contributor

Host disconnected from VC and no password prompt in SSH

Hello.

One of three servers is disconnected from VC. All VMs on it are still running fine.

I can't connect to this server with client or remote SSH.

Ping on this host is responding.

So I try to log on server "physycaly" (on local monitor/keyboard). Alt+F1 works, so i wrote username and after that nothing happens. No PASSWORD prompt. I can write anything on keyboard, but don't get password prompt.

Should I wait till "something" (i hope good) happens, or shutdown VMs one by one and hard reboot host ? This looks like too many open files in "linux".

Thanx for any response.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Depending on the ESXi version you have several options to restart the management agents on the host. An easy on is to login to the DCUI (yellow/gray console) and select "Restart Management Agents" (for v4.1 this is can be found under "Troubleshooting Options"). Another option is to login to the console "ALT-F1" and use "/sbin/services.sh restart". The way you can login to the console is different fro v4.0 and v4.1. In v4.0 you have to type in "unsupported" and hit ENTER to get the password prompt, where you have to enter the root password. For v4.1 you need to enable the console login in the DCUI ("Troubleshooting Options" -> "Enable Local Tech Support") which will provide the user login in the "ALT-F1" console

see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1017910

André

0 Kudos