VMware Cloud Community
jdickerson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host crash

I have a esxi 5.1 host that crashed. Can anyone determine the cause from my screenshot of the stop screen? Also, what tools are available with esxi and vsphere to troubleshoot host crashes? Thank you!

host-crash.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

First of all, your 5.1 host is terribly outdated! You are running it at "update1" level. Why? Since then there were many patches, so grab the latest one (they are cumulative) and update ESXi to the latest level.

Second, in your PSOD I see "E1000". There was some problem with this NIC, this has been fixed later "update2" patch. So one more reason to update your ESXi-host to the latest level!

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=205905...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
VijaySendhur
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cause

This issue occurs when there are hardware or software issues on the host such as:

• Hardware faults occur when there are issues with CPU, memory, or main board components.
  • Software issues are more complex and require more detailed examination to troubleshoot the reason for the fault.

Resolution

To investigate this issue:

1. You must extract the log file that led to the Purple Diagnostic Screen (PSOD) crash and examine for potential cause.  For more information on extracting the log file, see Extracting the log file after an ESX or ESXi host fails with a purple screen error (1006796).

2. Examine the extracted log file for any anomalous events immediately before the purple diagnostic screen such as logged hardware failures, memory or CPU errors, and also look for warnings or errors from other software modules. For more information, see Interpreting an ESX/ESXi host purple diagnostic screen (1004250)

3. If you suspect a hardware fault, subject the host to rigorous memory and CPU testing. On hosts with multiple CPUs, arrange to run several tests at the same time. The usual troubleshooting techniques for hardware can be used, such as switching memory modules and CPUs between sockets.

4. If you cannot perform the above steps because the host fails to power up or boot, submit a support request to your hardware vendor. If its not a hardware issue, then to resolve the issue, collect diagnostic information from the ESXi host and submit a support request. For more information, see Collecting Diagnostic Information for VMware Products (1008524) and How to Submit a Support Request.

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

First of all, your 5.1 host is terribly outdated! You are running it at "update1" level. Why? Since then there were many patches, so grab the latest one (they are cumulative) and update ESXi to the latest level.

Second, in your PSOD I see "E1000". There was some problem with this NIC, this has been fixed later "update2" patch. So one more reason to update your ESXi-host to the latest level!

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=205905...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
jdickerson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, just what I wanted to see.

0 Kudos
RaviMV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thats the correct answer