VMware Cloud Community
krek
Contributor
Contributor

Host can't find lun

Hello everybody,

I am facing the problem that both esx hosts which are connected directly to a HP P2000 array (via SAS) do not recognize the created 4 Raid6 luns on the second enclosure.

When I check in vCenter the storage path for this vdisk volume, the HBA finds just the enclosure on lun0 and not as expected 4 luns 260,261,262,263.

The lun110 and 150 are hosted on the enclosure1 of the san while the 4 missing luns are hosted on enclosure2.

1.png

The san array confirms that the vdisk with the 4 volumes are up with no errors and also mapped to both esx hosts on all available ports.

I also need to say that when I initialized the vdisk on enclosure2 (12x4TB) the 4 created volumes were recognized by the hosts.

After this I deleted the vdisk including its volumes and did a firmware update of the controllers and the HDD's as recommended by HP.

So I thought that maybe the hba of the esx hosts might be the reason that the luns are not recognized, so I checked on both esx hosts the status of the controllers.

According to the vmware compatibility guide the Dell controllers are installed with the latest firmware.

2.png

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
krek
Contributor
Contributor

After searching in all log files (not really knowing for what to look for) and going from one vm forum to another,

I finally found the reason for my problem!

Unbelievalbe but the maximum number of a lun ID is 255! Everything above 255 is not recognized.

Changing my default mappings to other lun ids solved the issue.

And I was already assuming a worst case scenario...

Hope this helps somebody ....

0 Kudos
linotelera
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This appends according to configuration max:

https://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere5/r55/vsphere-55-configuration-maximums.pdf

under section esxi host, storage you will find that lun id max is 255...

regards

Lino

0 Kudos