VMware Cloud Community
tehDiceman
Contributor
Contributor

Host Profile issue

I took a host that was working as advertised(iSCSI, running VM's, etc). I reinstalled vSphere 4.1 from scratch and am now trying to apply the host profile to the server to complete the configuration. I am getting a vague error message in vCenter when I do this.

The host profile is only trying to change the service console memory reservation, the service console ipv4 default gateway, and the timezone.

The error I get in vCenter is: Operation failed, diagnostics report: Sysinfo error on operation returned status : Address not available. Please see the VMkernel log for detailed error information

The error I get in the vmkernel log is

Dec 1 10:20:38 IND-MSESX-DEVEL02 vmkernel: 0:02:12:08.635 cpu3:4106)DVFilter: 152: DVFilter_SetBindAddressCallback: valueChanged = 1

Dec 1 10:20:38 IND-MSESX-DEVEL02 vmkernel: 0:02:12:08.635 cpu3:4106)WARNING: DVFilter: 1166: Unable to bind the control socket (169.254.1.1:2222): Address not available

Dec 1 10:20:38 IND-MSESX-DEVEL02 vmkernel: 0:02:12:08.635 cpu3:4106)WARNING: DVFilter: 1290: Failed to start control socket (0xbad00fe): Address not available

Dec 1 10:20:38 IND-MSESX-DEVEL02 vmkernel: 0:02:12:08.635 cpu3:4106)WARNING: DVFilter: 4374: Could not init DVFilter slow path communication.

Dec 1 10:20:38 IND-MSESX-DEVEL02 vmkernel: 0:02:12:08.635 cpu3:4106)Config: 372: "DVFilterBindIpAddress" = "", Old value: "" (Status: 0xbad00fe)

Anyone have any insight into this? I'm getting nothing on google and from what I can tell, the default gateway is already set to the correct address on the service console. Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
tehDiceman
Contributor
Contributor

One minor update. I have gotten the Service Console IP taken care of and now all that needs to be applied is the service console memory reservation and the timezone. My guess is this error is about the memory reservation, but I'm not sure why there are references to binding ip addresses in the vmkernel logs though.

I have just now manually set the memory reservation back to stock and I still get this same error when all that needs changed is the timezone. Something is amiss but I have no idea where to start now.

0 Kudos
tehDiceman
Contributor
Contributor

i have resolved this.

0 Kudos
jorgelon
Contributor
Contributor

how?

0 Kudos
tehDiceman
Contributor
Contributor

There was another item in the list that I missed that was trying to configure called DVfilter. Once I deleted it, everything was working as expected.

It was related to a third party module that we were no longer using but the configuration was leftover in the host profile.

0 Kudos
jorgelon
Contributor
Contributor

In my case the problem was with a vmkernel parameter "DVFilterBindIpAddress". I deleted that value and it worked

0 Kudos