VMware Cloud Community
r_lam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Host Profile issue on ESXi 4.1 update 1

Hi all,

Last night I was building a virtual vSphere 4.1 (update 1) lab to prepare for my upcoming VCAP exam.

However I experienced a very weird situation when using Host Profiles. After I applied the Host Profile to the second host it’s losing the connection to the vCenter Server. However the second host is still reachable via ping and it’s even possible to connect directly to the ESXi host via the vSphere Client, but the vCenter Server can’t connect to the ESXi hosts any longer.

I reinstalled the second host and after I reconnect it to the vCenter Server I applied the Host Profiles again, this time vCenter didn’t lose the connection.

To make sure it’s not a onetime issue, I changed something in the network section of the Host Profile template and reapplied it to the second host.

And again its connection with the vCenter Server is lost, but the host is still reachable via ping or a direct connection with the vSphere Client.

So I think something went wrong with the vCenter Agent on the ESXi host.

After I reinstalled the host I upgraded it to ESXi 4.1 update 2 and again tried to apply the Host Profile template, and with success the host stays connected not matter how many times I applied the profile.

So my question is does anyone knows if there is an issue with Host Profile in combination with ESXi 4.1 update 1?

Thanks,

Remon

0 Kudos
1 Reply
EdWilts
Expert
Expert

So my question is does anyone knows if there is an issue with Host Profile in combination with ESXi 4.1 update 1?

There is definitely an issue with MTU size - if you grab a profile from host that has jumbo frames, that will not be propogated to the new host.  We found out the hard way.  We haven't retested this since we upgraded vCenter to 5.0.

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)
0 Kudos