VMware Cloud Community
iceman93
Contributor
Contributor

Host Profile Creation

Hello -

I was trying to create a host profile in ESX 4. Build my initial host and configured. Created a host profile from the 1st host and made adjustments to host profile. (Both host has the same exact hardware and same config using 6 VLANs). When I try to run a compliance check before applying host profile on 2nd host, has a bunch of compliance check failure as follow:

Total of 6 VLANs, only 1 VLAN was not flagged (i.e VLAN020)

*Port group vmotion not found

*Port group VLAN010 not found (actual VLAN changed)

*Port group VLAN012 not found

*Port group VLAN014 not found

*Port group VLAN016 not found

*Port group VLAN018 not found

*For port group VLAN020 network policy not property spec.policy.nic.Teaming.failureCriteria doesn't match

*For port group VLAN020 network policy not property spec.policy.shapingPolicy doesn't match

*For port group VLAN020 network policy not property spec.policy.SecurityPolicy doesn't match

*Beacon config doesn't match

*Beacon config doesn't match

*For vSwitch vSwitch0 network polcy property spec.policy.nicTeaming.nicOrder.activeNic doesn't match

I have defined all the VLANs and security policy as I wanted on host 2 trying to apply profie to. I'm not sure why the port groups are not found. What am I missing in my config?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MattG
Expert
Expert

Are you sure that that isn't the modified HP going against the original host as this would be expected?

-MattG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
iceman93
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. I attached host 2 to the profile and ran the compliance check against it. Those are the results I got from the compliance check.

Thanks

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

Did it make the changes?

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
iceman93
Contributor
Contributor

No. Not until I apply the changes, it doesn't touch the host. The compliance check just does a quick scan of the host. I don't want to apply the changes until I know for sure. Really don't want to rebuild the host although it doesn't take very long.

0 Kudos
iceman93
Contributor
Contributor

The issue has been take care of.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ESXFranco
Contributor
Contributor

How was this resolved?

Please and Thankyou

Franco

0 Kudos
jornlux
Contributor
Contributor

iceman93: it would be of great benefit to others (including myself) if you could provide us with the solution to this issue.

0 Kudos
c33jbeckwith
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into a similar problem. I corrected it by removing the host profile and re-applying it.

0 Kudos
murmsy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I have come across this issue myself and realised that majority of the warnings are not critical (please feel free to correct me). I say this as a lot of the networking 'differences' for example, were just that vNICs were in a different 'slot/order' and hence vSphere thought they were completely different configurations.

What I ended up doing was setting up an ESX and ESXi host profile (needed 1x ESX host for SMB export), and then just applying these to each host. This way I could avoid even configuring the other hosts, and instead applied the profile to each of them. It was a huge time-saver when I learnt this.

**Just be careful** - If you create a secondary service console (ESX), this can cause issues with the host profile when being applied, so I wouldn't actually advise doing this on ESX unless you are sure of what you are doing.

I hope this helps Smiley Happy

0 Kudos