VMware Cloud Community
sybux201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host Profile - Can't apply syslog.dir value

Hello,

I'm configuring some new and fresh deploy ESXi 5.0 update 1 host.

I've only configured the console and patched them to latest patches.

Now I'm trying to apply my host profile but when I run it, I got a "invalid directory specified for syslog".

I've seen the "bug" in update 1 and change the value in my profile so that it can match [datastore]/logdir but I'm still getting the error.

As my datastore is on iSCSI connection, I was asking myself if the problem shoudl be here as for the moment, there is no iSCSI connection on my fresh host.

here is the config line for syslog.logdir

<policy><id>ConfigOptionPolicy</id><policyOption><id>FixedConfigOption</id><parameter><key>key</key><value xsi:type="xsd:string">Syslog.global.logDir</value></parameter><parameter><key>value</key><value xsi:type="xsd:string">[Logging]/vCenter_HEG</value></parameter></policyOption></policy>

Thx for you help in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

vMA 4.X has the vilogger function to act as a syslog server

Configuring vSphere Management Assistant as a Syslog Server

vilogger has been removed with vMA 5.X in favor of the vCenter Syslog Server.

Jason Boche has an excellent write up on that here: http://www.boche.net/blog/index.php/2011/07/23/configure-a-vcenter-5-0-integrated-syslog-server/

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If the datastore specified doesn't exist or is not reachable, you will receive an error such as what you're describing.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
sybux201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So setting the syslog to a iSCSI datastore for a fresh install is not a good option !

I've read that it is possible to use vAM for syslog ? do you have a link which explain how to configure vAM for this ?

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

vMA 4.X has the vilogger function to act as a syslog server

Configuring vSphere Management Assistant as a Syslog Server

vilogger has been removed with vMA 5.X in favor of the vCenter Syslog Server.

Jason Boche has an excellent write up on that here: http://www.boche.net/blog/index.php/2011/07/23/configure-a-vcenter-5-0-integrated-syslog-server/

0 Kudos