VMware Cloud Community
krose1942
Contributor
Contributor

Host Only Network and Physical Adapter Network

I am trying to get a switch for VMs to only talk to the a server VM. While the server has two nics and talking to the closed host only network and the outside network thru the physical adapter.

I have...

Standard Switch: vSwitch0 that a physical adapter

Standard Switch: vSwitch1 with no physical adapter

I figured I was moving in the right direction until I put two client VMs on switch1 and they cannot ping each other.

Can someone help me out?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Untitled.png

See if above diagram helps.

I tried to map it with your description. VM No 1, exposed to both the networks with the help of two vNics and VM2 and VM3 are only connected with internal network exposed to External via VM1 only. (if you don't want those internal network VMs to be able to reach outside, configure VM1 accordingly)

You also mentioned that you have placed two VMs on vSwitch1 and not pinging each other, please make sure that they both are connected with the same portgroup on vSwitch1 and configured with proper IP/Subnet Mask etc...

Let's say if I create two different VM portgroups on vSwitch1 with different VLAN tags, and then place VM2 and VM3 one each on those two portgroups, I will face issue seeing comminuncation between those two portgroups

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

Yes, you are correct . VM can ping each other snce they are sharing the adapter from which they connected. But those vm can't ping from outside . Since they don't have the physical adapter attached to it.

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos