VMware Cloud Community
smyth
Contributor
Contributor

Host Hardware Upgrade in HA Cluster

I have two ESXi 4.1 hosts in a HA Cluster running 7-8 guests between them but I need to add additional memory to each host. What is the best way to add the extra memory?

I was thinking of using vmotion to transfer all the guests to one host and then put the other host in maintenance mode, shut it down add the extra memory and then start it back up. Then do the same for the other host. Does anyone have any thoughts, hints or tips on what is the VMware recommended way.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

smyth wrote:

I was thinking of using vmotion to transfer all the guests to one host and then put the other host in maintenance mode, shut it down add the extra memory and then start it back up. Then do the same for the other host.

Sounds like an ideal plan!

smyth
Contributor
Contributor

I read somewhere else that you need to take the host out of the cluster first before you put it in maintenance mode and then carry out the upgrade. Is that not now needed?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

no need to take it out of the cluster, but ensure it's in maintenace mode befor you power it down.  The host will show up as "not responding" during your hardware maintenance.  Once finished and the host is back online, it will come back as connected in your vCetner inventory in maintenance mode.  Exit maintenace mode and repeat on host 2.

smyth
Contributor
Contributor

I presume this is the recommended VMware way?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

absolutely.  You can pull the host out of the cluster if you wish, but there is no need.

0 Kudos
smyth
Contributor
Contributor

Okay thanks for the help and advice I will give it a go in the next few days.

0 Kudos