Host:

ESXi 6.7

Intel Core i7-3770 CPU

16 GB RAM

Guest:

FreeNAS-11.1-U5 (FreeBSD amd64)

2 cores

8 GB RAM

Two days ago I secure-erased my SSD and installed ESXi 6.7. I was previously running ESXi 6.5 on the same hardware, but multiple issues led me to do a fresh install.

I have installed a single VM. The VM appears to be running fine, and includes VMWare tools. It shows an average and maximum CPU usage of 1.86% and 21.78%, respectively, which seems reasonable under the circumstances.

The host shows average and maximum package0 CPU usage of 51.65% and 46.08% respectively. Yes, it's reporting a higher average than maximum; just eyeballiing the graph I would say 40% is a better estimate for average. All eight cores are showing steady activity, with the lowest average of the eight being 14.66% over the last hour, which is by itself higher than I would expect based on the reported usage of the single VM.

So my first question is why CPU usage is so high on the host with only one VM installed, and that VM showing comparatively much less CPU usage. I tried running esxtop on the host in an ssh session but the output was an unreadable and unending stream of text; it looked nothing like the table I'm used to seeing when I run top on other machines.

My second question is why esxtop is unusable on this platform. Is it a known issue in 6.7 or have I buggered something up already?

pastedImage_1.png

guest CPU

pastedImage_2.png

host CPU

esxtop (truncated):

\\localhost\PCPU Power State(PCPU 6)\%P-State P15","\\localhost\PCPU Power State(PCPU 7)\%C-State C0","\\localhost\PCPU Power State(PCPU 7)\%C-State C1","\\localhost\PCPU Power State(PCPU 7)\%C-State C2","\\localhost\PCPU Power State(PCPU 7)\%P-State P0","\\localhost\PCPU Power State(PCPU 7)\%P-State P1","\\localhost\PCPU Power State(PCPU 7)\%P-State P2","\\localhost\PCPU Power State(PCPU 7)\%P-State P3","\\localhost\PCPU Power State(PCPU 7)\%P-State P4","\\localhost\PCPU Power State(PCPU 7)\%P-State P5","\\localhost\PCPU Power State(PCPU 7)\%P-State P6","\\localhost\PCPU Power State(PCPU 7)\%P-State P7","\\localhost\PCPU Power State(PCPU 7)\%P-State P8","\\localhost\PCPU Power State(PCPU 7)\%P-State P9","\\localhost\PCPU Power State(PCPU 7)\%P-State P10","\\localhost\PCPU Power State(PCPU 7)\%P-State P11","\\localhost\PCPU Power State(PCPU 7)\%P-State P12","\\localhost\PCPU Power State(PCPU 7)\%P-State P13","\\localhost\PCPU Power State(PCPU 7)\%P-State P14","\\localhost\PCPU Power State(PCPU 7)\%P-State P15",

0 Kudos
2 Replies
clarkn0va
Contributor
Contributor

I rebooted the host and this appears to have fixed the high CPU usage, however esxtop still gives me the fire hose.

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

Hello Clark,

What is the SSH client you are using? ESXTOP misbehaves with some of the SSH clients. Is it the same even with the conventional PuTTY application?

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos