VMware Cloud Community
jmcnelis
Contributor
Contributor

Host CPU maxed when running Ubuntu Desktop 14.04

Let me just state right off the bat that I am running on unsupported hardware, and I believe that may be my issue, but I just wanted to ask here to confirm.  Smiley Wink

I am running a desktop that has an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ CPU with 8GB RAM.  The machine is running ESXi 5.5 Update 1.  I have two virtual machines running on it, Ubuntu Server 14.04 and Ubuntu Desktop 14.04.  The server runs fine, when I look under Resource Allocation, it is consuming 16.00MHz of the 3214MHz the Host CPU has.  The problem is the desktop.  It is consuming anywhere from 2.89GHz to all of the Host CPU.  The desktop runs extremely slow and choppy, to the point that it actually will freeze up for many minutes at a time, eventually doing something before freezing up again.  The Host CPU consumed then may drop down to 101 MHz before jumping all the way back to max when I try to do something.

I'm not sure if this is due to using an unsupported CPU/motherboard combo, or if there is something else I'm missing.  I did receive a suggestion to install VMware Tools and that may solve the issue, but no luck.  I was also told to try changing the configuration of the network card from VMXNET 3 to E1000, which I did, to no avail.

If anybody has any suggestions, I'm up for trying anything.  Thanks!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JPM300
Commander
Commander

If you run a TOP on your Ubuntu Desktop what is eatting up 100% of the CPU?  Typically if a VM is requesting 100% CPU it's becuase the Guest OS living in the VM is requesting it.  If it was hardware related I think it just wouldn't work, but you never know.

jmcnelis
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like it may be compiz using up most of my CPU.  I did a search and found that Unity seems to not like to play well with ESXi.  So now, I'm going to attempt to install something else.  The only issue is it takes forever to do anything on the system, so this may take me a while.

Thanks for the tip JPM300, my problem may not be "fixed" but it looks like I have a workaround!

0 Kudos