VMware Cloud Community
KjetilS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host CPU is incompatible with the virtual machine's requirements at CPUID level 0x1 register 'ecx'.

I have VMware ESXi 5.0.0 Essential plus.

I have two HP ProLiant BL460c G6 with Intel Xeon E5530 CPU and one ProLiant BL460c G7 with Intel Xeon E5640 CPU.

vMotion works between the two G6-servers, but when I tries to move a computer to the G7-server I get this error message:

Host CPU is incompatible with the virtual machine's requirements at CPUID level 0x1 register 'ecx'.
Host bits: 0000:0010:1001:1000:0010:0010:0000:0011
Required:  x0xx:xx0x:10x1:1xx0:xxxx:xx1x:xxxx:xx01
Mismatch detected for these features:
*PCLMULQDQ
*AES-NI

If possible, use cluster with Enhances vMotion Compatibility (EVC) enabled; see KB article 1003212. In the absence of EVC, see KB article 1993.

I have tried to understand these articles, but I'm still unsure what to do.

I have attached VMware.log

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The E56xx CPU in the G7 host provides more/other features than the older E55xx CPUs in the G6 models. To be able to vMotion virtual machines between hosts with different CPU models, the features which are exposed to the VMs have to be the same. This is what EVC takes care of. What you need to do is to enable EVC on the cluster and set the appropriate baseline (see table "Table 3.1: EVC Baselines on Intel CPUs" in http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003212). In case of the two CPU models you have this is "Intel® Xeon® Core™ i7 EVC Mode" (column 3).

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The E56xx CPU in the G7 host provides more/other features than the older E55xx CPUs in the G6 models. To be able to vMotion virtual machines between hosts with different CPU models, the features which are exposed to the VMs have to be the same. This is what EVC takes care of. What you need to do is to enable EVC on the cluster and set the appropriate baseline (see table "Table 3.1: EVC Baselines on Intel CPUs" in http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003212). In case of the two CPU models you have this is "Intel® Xeon® Core™ i7 EVC Mode" (column 3).

André

0 Kudos
KjetilS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, thanks. That solved my problem.

0 Kudos