ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Host CPID, Geast CPUID and UserCPUID / what are they !!!

Posted Aug 22, 2014 10:00 AM

i found out that there are some IDs associated to the CPUIDs in vmx file of each virtual machine, these IDs are;

hostCPUID.{Num}

hostCPUID.80000001 

guestCPUID.{Num}

guestCPUID.80000001

userCPUID.{Num}

userCPUID.80000001

i had some examination and search and i found out that guestCPUID and userCPUID are the same but hostCPUID always is different, Also i realized that these IDs are 32 hexadecimal characters that contains EDX, EAX, ECX  and EDX

i just want to know why hostCPUID is different from two other IDs??

and what is the different between these format of IDs and another format that explain in VMware documents ( cpuid.{Num}.edx or cpuid.{Num}.eax ) that written in binary codes not hexadecimal??

also i need to know why there are no CPUIDs in vmx file of some virtual appliance that often are available in OVF/OVA format and we can just deploy it??

Best Regards,

• 2.  RE: Host CPID, Geast CPUID and UserCPUID / what are they !!!

Posted Aug 22, 2014 06:34 PM

See .

• 3.  RE: Host CPID, Geast CPUID and UserCPUID / what are they !!!

Posted Aug 23, 2014 09:59 AM

Hey thank you mattson that was really helpfull but a little complex, is there any document that explain this IDs in detail??

and i want to know why some virtual appliances does not have any CPUIDs in their  vmx file??

• 4.  RE: Host CPID, Geast CPUID and UserCPUID / what are they !!!
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 23, 2014 10:51 AM

For Intel CPUs, you should see http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/manuals/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-vol-2a-manual.pdf.  For AMD CPUs, you should see http://support.amd.com/TechDocs/25481.pdf.

If a virtual appliance has no CPUID information, I would assume it has no CPU constraints.

• 5.  RE: Host CPID, Geast CPUID and UserCPUID / what are they !!!

Posted Aug 24, 2014 06:51 PM

actually we had very good discussion recently and i really appreciate for your response and care dear Mattson, i want you know i'm absolutely not interested in what features or functions supported by which CPU or which version of  virtual hardware. All i need to know is what CPUIDs deiver to a Virtual Machine / Appliance and how can i change them to some how defeat a specific VM to receive IDs that probably are not same with actual ESXi host IDs that VM deployed on it.

Best Regards,

• 6.  RE: Host CPID, Geast CPUID and UserCPUID / what are they !!!

Posted Aug 24, 2014 08:49 PM

There is nothing in the CPUID information that uniquely identifies your CPU, if that's what you're getting at. 

• 7.  RE: Host CPID, Geast CPUID and UserCPUID / what are they !!!

Posted Aug 25, 2014 05:11 PM

are you sure about that??

so what unique IDs in the Virtual machine i can refer to for protecting license agreement of my developed software from violating via cloning or copying a licensed virtual machine  to many ESXi hosts without any extra payment??

i need something more reliable than MAC Address or UUID

• 8.  RE: Host CPID, Geast CPUID and UserCPUID / what are they !!!

Posted Aug 25, 2014 06:44 PM

amircsco wrote:

are you sure about that??

100%

so what unique IDs in the Virtual machine i can refer to for protecting license agreement of my developed software from violating via cloning or copying a licensed virtual machine  to many ESXi hosts without any extra payment??

i need something more reliable than MAC Address or UUID

I suggest you look into third party tools for this.  I can't recommend any specifically, but a Google search for "license software for VM" reveals some potential candidates.