VMware Cloud Community
PRAVIN1CA
Contributor
Contributor

HomeLab - i7-3770 or E3-12XX-V2

Dear All,

Greeting!!!

I need expert advise about home lab... This Lab is mainly to evaluate all VMware products...may be other virtualization products as well...

Option-1

2 * i7-3770 + DQ77MK + 32GB

Option-2

2 * E3-1245-V2 + C216 Based MB + 16GB

Will i able to evalualte all vSphere feature with Option-1 Lab?

What will be missing if i build lab based on i7 instead of E3 processor

http://ark.intel.com/compare/65729,65719 there is no much of difference in processor features!!!

Another concern is Intel release date for C216 based server motherboard is unclear.

ECC memory cost too high!!!

Please share you advise & experiance.

With Best Regards,

PRAVIN1CA

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You may run into issues with both configurations if you plan to install ESXi natively on the hardware. In addition to this you may need multiple hosts to evaluate more advanced features like HA, vMotion, ...

I'd probably go with option 1, add a 256GB SSD drive and run a virtualized vSphere environment in VMware Workstation. Please take a look at e.g. Building the Ultimate vSphere Lab to see whether this could be an option for you!?

André

0 Kudos
PRAVIN1CA
Contributor
Contributor

Andre Thank You for reply.

I am planning to build two identical systems to performa HA / DRS / FT...

Real world simulation is very important for me...

With Best Regards,

PRAVIN1CA

0 Kudos
Osaili
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I would go for  E3-1245-V2 as a processor, it is certified in VMware HCL although I have a system with i7-3770 processor which runs perfectly.

The CPUs specs and set of features seams to be identical but E3 family is intended for Servers, where i7 is for Dektops.

If you are on limited budget and you don't intend to use it for production, Go for option 1.

A hint, Invest in Memory size and speed, it is critical point when it comes to virtualization.

0 Kudos
onoski
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As memory and CPU resources plays a vital part in virtualisation I would opt for option 1 and go with workstation version 9.

0 Kudos
seetee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Option 1 - memory is the limiter.  16Gb is just not enough for multiple Virtual Machines.

0 Kudos
PRAVIN1CA
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Onoski,

Real World example for Labs so no VMware Workstation!!!

Thanks

0 Kudos
onoski
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Pravin1ca,

In this respect then would still opt for number one as long as you get two of these to take into account running other features such as Vmotion etc.

0 Kudos