VMware Cloud Community
Underknowledge
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Home lab NVMe disk

Hi,
I tryed to stuck together something useful for my means. Ryzen 5 3400G, 32GB RAM, 3 old Drives, and 2 NVMe drives. 
While everything works fine, but I am unable to get the 2nd 1TB NVMe drive (XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro) to be recognized by ESXi

While booting into a live usb I am able see and use the drive.

I do not see the drive listed in ESXi.

Can some point me into the right direction?
7.0.0 build 15843807

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
khiregange
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

While I was researching I saw the below Link

https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2019/05/quick-tip-crucial-nvme-ssd-not-recognized-by-esxi-6-7.html

One of the user posted that he tried all possible combination of the firmware/ driver and finally gave-up and rolled-back to esxi 6.7 version where he was able to detect the nvme device

FIX - > Try with 6.7 and let us know if that fixed the issue

Cause - > esxi 7 doesnt seems to be supporting the XPG yet

View solution in original post

3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

What is the controller for the disk, and have you checked that ESXi 7.0 supports it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
khiregange
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

While I was researching I saw the below Link

https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2019/05/quick-tip-crucial-nvme-ssd-not-recognized-by-esxi-6-7.html

One of the user posted that he tried all possible combination of the firmware/ driver and finally gave-up and rolled-back to esxi 6.7 version where he was able to detect the nvme device

FIX - > Try with 6.7 and let us know if that fixed the issue

Cause - > esxi 7 doesnt seems to be supporting the XPG yet

Underknowledge
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I downloaded the ESXI-6.5.0 image and replaced nvme_pci.v00 with nvme.v00 from the image.

And.. it works out. I'm quite impressed, and a little sad that 'consumer hardware' is being blacklisted like that.

nvme-pcie reports now as version 1.2.2.14-1vmw.700.1.25.16324942

I'm pretty sure it won't survive an update but ¯\_( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )_/¯

Thanks for that awesome tip!

0 Kudos