VMware Cloud Community
AvayaGuy
Contributor
Contributor

Home Use License

Hello all. I am trying to figure out what I can do about a license issue I am having. I currently run esxi 5.5.0 at home with a free home license. The only limitation to this license that I can see for me is that it only supports 1 cpu with unlimited cores. I need to upgrade this somehow to at least 2 cpu's with 8 cores each. Is this possible to do with the home version free license, or do I need to buy the upgrade somehow? Thank you in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cykVM
Expert
Expert

As far as I know there is no limitation to physical CPUs and cores in the free ESXi 5.5 license. Just a limit of 8 vCPUs per VM.

See for example: http://www.virtualitworld.co.in/vmware-vsphere-5-5-hypervisor-free-esxi-limitations/

The limitation you mentioned was in 5.0/5.1 but no longer in 5.5

0 Kudos
Sateesh_vCloud

Just curious about your requirement:  I need to upgrade this somehow to at least 2 cpu's with 8 cores each

If this is LAB setup - what options features you are looking for?

Is your Hardware having 1 Physical CPU - which is giving 1 vCPU with multiple cores?

If this is the case - first you need to look at Physical CPU of your hardware not the License.

Hope this information is helpful.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
0 Kudos
AvayaGuy
Contributor
Contributor

Yes this is for a lab / home setup. I am looking for something that can run all my household media, such as plex on windows 7 or server 08, plus a lot of testing / training VM's such as avaya communications manager which requires 3 -6 CPU each. I just purchased a dell r610 with 2 physical 6 hex cores, and wanted to know if it would work with free home version. I have had my free home license for quite some time, perhaps I need to refresh it and get a new license that is up to date with 5.5?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You shouldn't have an issue with adding the same free license key as you already use for the current host. The license information shown depends on the hardware, so with a 2 CPU system you should see 2 CPUs with unlimited cores with the free license.

André

0 Kudos