VMware Cloud Community
Morgenstern72
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ho to build a 64TB datastore with a HP 3PAR (16TB LUN max)

We have to migrate from our current SAN with 2x45TB Datastores to a new HP 3PAR with raw ~130TB capacity.

Problem 1: This 3PAR can have a  maximum of 16TB LUNs

Problem 2: We have one server with a 25TB disks

Problem 3: It seems, that VMWare can only use 2TB LUNs to extend VMware KB: Creating and managing extents on ESX/ESXi
Now I am confused what to do.
Make 32 TB LUNs and extend to to one 64TB Datastore (and do this 2 times since with have ~130TB raw capacity)?
Make on 16TB LUN and extend it with 24 2 TB LUNS?
Any other way on VMWARE side?
What I certainly not want: extend/stripe disks in the Windows guests (so I could make 16TB LUNs with 2 big virtual disks and extend them). No way.
I also am no fan of many 16TB datastores and have to be aware of where to put a VM. Especially since the 3PAR stripes all data over all disks anyway, the LUNs are only virtual. So no performance or security gain here. It would also make the backup with veeam much more complicated.
PS: We have to do this next week...we cannot wait for VVOLs in vsphere 6.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
vfk
Expert
Expert

It is generally recommended to avoid extents and also given your constraints, I cannot really anyway multiple datastores.

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos