VMware Cloud Community
Loc2262
Contributor
Contributor

High "%OVRLP" of "idle" world; discrepancy of CPU usage; high amount of RAID controller interrupts

Hellos!

I'm experiencing the following strange behavior on one of two identical servers operating under ESXi 5.0.

The CPU usage (MHz) of the host is about 1.2 GHz higher than the sum of the running virtual machines' CPU usage (2.5 GHz host vs. 1.3 GHz VM sum).

In ESXTOP I can see that one (varying) CPU core (host has a Core i7 2600, quadcore 3.3 GHz) has a rather high load of 65, while the others are at 10-12.

When I expand the "idle" group, I see that the idle world that corresponds to said CPU core has a high "overlap" value of about 40%, while the others have less than 1 %.

The other hardware-identical server which has a similar workload does not show this behavior.

Any idea what could cause this high "overlap" for the idle process? What exactly does overlap mean for idle?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Loc2262
Contributor
Contributor

Additional info: I just checked the "interrupts" page in ESXTOP and noticed that the "VMK megasas" (apparently the RAID controller) produces a great amount of interrupts, like 150.000 per second, while on the other server it's about 10-20 per second.

Any idea why the RAID controller does that?

0 Kudos